Anti-inflammatory, blood sugar stabilizer, and cancer preventative – what more can you ask of this unusual drink made with turmeric?
There are 1000’s of recipes online for this creamy, spicy, bittersweet turmeric tea!
Originating in India and used as a home remedy and cure-all, this is my version and you should feel free to tweak it to suit you.
Turmeric is known for it’s bright color and bitter flavor. Don’t be alarmed if the first sip tastes a bit too bitter! As you get into the drink, the other flavors become more pronounced and you won’t notice the bitterness.
Notice that there is an option to add protein which turns it into a hefty snack or a light meal.
1 1/2 cups coconut or other non-dairy milk
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2-1 tsp ginger – dried
2-4 grinds black pepper (1/4 – 1/2 tsp)
pinch sea salt
2-4 dates-pitted – for sweetness
Optional: 1/2 tsp vanilla
- place everything but the vanilla in a saucepan and bring to a simmer
- after 5 minutes, place in a blender, add the vanilla, and blend until creamy and smooth
- drink immediately!
- protein: add 2 scoops collagen protein powder, or 3 T hemp seed
- sweeteners: raw honey, stevia, maple syrup – add after heating
- use full fat canned coconut milk, unsweetened, for a really rich drink. Add water to thin as needed
- add a dash of cardamom