This pumpkin parfait recipe is one of the best uses of pumpkin ever and a perfect Halloween treat. The healthy fat, fiber, and protein in the chia seeds, the nutritional benefits of the luscious fats in the coconut milk and oil, and the nutrient dense sweetness of the squash or sweet potatoes make for a decadent pleasure. The only thing missing is the guilt! These are super pretty as parfaits, and also good just plopped into a bowl and devoured ecstatically!
Makes 6 cups (Serves 8-12).
- 2 cans coconut milk – unsweetened, full fat
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 – 1 cup maple syrup – use the lesser amount if using sweet squash, more if using pumpkin
- 2 tsp vanilla (I like Madagascar bourbon vanilla)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups baked pumpkin, squash or sweet potato
- 2 T coconut mana, or coconut oil – this will make it thicker once it chills
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups toasted coconut
- Mix together the coconut milk, chia seeds, maple syrup, vanilla and salt and stir really well so the chia seeds are not lumping together.
- Place in a container in the fridge overnight.
- The next day bake the pumpkin, blend with the coconut oil until completely smooth, and mix into the coconut milk mixture.
- Divide the mixture into parfait glasses layering with the toasted coconut.
Can be served warm or chilled.